History

Mississippi Counties, Cities and Towns, 1891

Authentic and Comprehensive Account of the Chief Events in the History Of The State, and a record of the lives of many of the most worthy and illustrious families and individuals. Please remember when reading about these histories that many counties were changed and some even abandoned or parts taken over by another county. Some contain a large amount of information while others just a few lines. Adams County Natchez Washington Alcorn County Corinth Amite County Liberty Attala County Kosciusko Bolivar County Rosedale Benton County Ashland Calhoun County Hartford Carroll County Carrollton Chickasaw County Houston Okolona Choctaw County Chester Claiborne …

Mississippi Counties, Cities and Towns, 1891 Read More »

Yazoo City, Yazoo County, Mississippi, 1891

The site of Yazoo City, the justice seat of Yazoo County, was an Indian reservation, entered by Greenwood Le Fleur in 1827, under the provisions of the treaty of Washington, concluded January 20, 1825, with the Choctaw Indians. Yazoo City was first called Hannon’s Bluff and afterward incorporated as Manchester, and subsequently as Yazoo City, the name having been changed about 1845. This town, the gem city of the world-famous Yazoo, Miss., delta country, is situated upon the eastern bank of the Yazoo fiver. The site is a well chosen and wonderfully advantageous one, gently sloping back to the bluffs …

Yazoo City, Yazoo County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Williamsburgh, Covington County, Mississippi, 1891

Williamsburgh, the seat of justice of Covington County, had a population of one hundred and twenty-four in 1890. It is located about in the geographical center of the county, and though it has no railway facilities as yet, has a good local trade. Its bar is able, and its business men are enterprising and successful. Mount Carmel and Jaynesville are trading points in this county.   Back to: Mississippi Counties, Cities and Towns, 1891 Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891

Winona, Montgomery County, Mississippi, 1891

Winona, the county seat of Montgomery County, is situated on the Illinois Central rail-road, at its intersection with the Richmond & Danville road, two hundred and seventy-one miles from New Orleans and two hundred and seventy-nine from Cairo. It has a population of twenty-one hundred people, contains between twenty and thirty substantial stores, and does a trade of over half a million dollars a year. Winona has a good bank with ample cap-ital, which moves the extensive cotton business of the town, which amounts to over two thou-sand bales yearly, the bulk of which goes East. Winona is said to …

Winona, Montgomery County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Woodville, Wilkinson County, Mississippi, 1891

Woodville (population one thousand) the seat of justice for Wilkinson County, is one of the oldest towns in the state, and prior to its incorporation (which dates back to about 1808) was one of the earliest settlements in the then Natchez district. Peopled by one of the proudest races on earth, its population comprised men whose sense of honor was the most exalted, and whose chivalry, exhibited whenever occasion presented, led them to deeds of valor and heroism. It would be difficult to point out a location for a town that would combine more advantages than that of Woodville. Situated …

Woodville, Wilkinson County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Washington, Adams County, Mississippi, 1891

Washington, in Adams County, was important in the earlier history of Mississippi. “The town of Washington, six miles east of Natchez, in a rich, elevated and picturesque country, was then the seat of government,” wrote Colonel Claiborne. “The land office, the surveyor-general’s office, the office of the commissioner of claims, and the courts of the United States, were all there. In the immediate vicinity was Fort Dearborn, and a permanent cantonment of United States troops. The high officials of the territory made it their residence, and many gentlemen of fortune, attracted by its advantages, went there to reside. There were …

Washington, Adams County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Water Valley, Yalobusha County, Mississippi, 1891

Water Valley is situated on the Illinois Central railroad, about ninety miles southeast of Memphis, midway between Jackson, Tenn., and Canton, Miss. Water Valley has risen from a heap of ashes since the war and grown to a population of two thousand, eight hundred and twenty-eight and in wealth to several millions. The Indians still roamed the forest in the neighborhood in 1840, while some rude habitations indicated the thrift with which a live population were beginning to enter upon the work of reducing to civilization an unbroken wilderness. The first house in or near the town was built about …

Water Valley, Yalobusha County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Waynesboro, Wayne County, Mississippi, 1891

Waynesboro, the seat of justice of Wayne County, is situated northwest of the center of the county, on the Mobile & Ohio railroad, and has a population of three hundred. The first county seat of this county was Winchester, five miles south of Waynesboro, and on the Mobile & Ohio railroad. About 1822 the courthouse at Winchester was destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt and is now standing. The old jail also yet stands at Winchester, built in the forties, with walls three feet thick of heavy hewed pine, by John McDonald, at a cost to the county of $400 …

Waynesboro, Wayne County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Westville, Simpson County, Mississippi, 1891

Westville, the seat of justice of Simpson County, was named in honor of Col. Cato West. It is located a little south and west of the center of the county and has a population of two hundred. As a business point it draws a good trade from the surrounding country, and it is peopled with an educated and intelligent population and well provided with churches and schools. Jaynesville and Harrisville are other towns in this county.   Back to: Mississippi Counties, Cities and Towns, 1891 Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891

Tupelo and Saltillo, Lee County, Mississippi, 1891

Tupelo Tupelo, the seat of justice of Lee county, is a town of on6 thousand five hundred and twenty-five inhabitants, at the junction of the Kansas City, Memphis & Birmingham and Mobile & Ohio railroads, two of the greatest trunk line railways on the continent. During the past three years over one hundred new residences, about fifteen elegant brick store-houses, four factories, and a number of other substantial improvements were made. The trade has been largely increased, and prosperity is evidenced on every hand. The citizens are wide awake, enterprising and progressive. They intend that Tupelo shall, with her superior …

Tupelo and Saltillo, Lee County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top