History

Vicksburg, Warren County Mississippi 1891

Vicksburg is situated on the plateau overlooking the Mississippi in north latitude 32 thirty-two degrees, twenty-one minutes, thirty-three seconds and west longitude thirteen degrees, fifteen minutes. A series of terraces mark the approach to the Hill city from the Mississippi bottom and from the bayous, giving it natural drainage in four general courses. The delta country stretching northward and the rich agricultural regions to the east and south are tributary to the city, while her railroad and steamboat facilities place her on a plane with the prosperous city of Memphis further north, bringing her within six hours’ distance of the …

Vicksburg, Warren County Mississippi 1891 Read More »

Walthill, Webster County, Mississippi, 1891

Walthall is the seat of justice of Webster County. It is located near the center of the county and has a population of two hundred and fifty. It was named in honor of Senator Walthall. This is a good interior trading point, which, though remote from railroads, has attained to some local commercial importance. Among the secret orders represented in Webster, as elsewhere, the Masonic order is prominent. Among the A. F. & A. M. lodges organized here are the following: Adelphi lodge No. 174 of Walthall, which was chartered January 17, 1853, and for many years held its meetings …

Walthill, Webster County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Shannon and Guntown, Lee County, Mississippi, 1891

Shannon Shannon, Lee County, was laid out in 1858, by G. F. Simonton, and named in honor of Col. E. G. Shannon, and is favorably situated on the line of the Mobile & Ohio railroad. The first building was erected for a store, by John M. Simonton, and goods were sold from it by Simonton & Buchanan, general merchants. Soon afterward other stores were built, and Shannon became quite a trading point. The population is four hundred and fifty. The Methodist Episcopal Church South, at Shannon, was organized about 1869, with Rev. E. B. Plummer as pastor. The members numbered …

Shannon and Guntown, Lee County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Starkville, Oktibbeha County, Mississippi, 1891

Starkville, the county town of Oktibbeha County, is located at the intersection of the Mobile & Ohio, Illinois Central and Georgia Pacific railway lines, and has a population of two thousand. It is the largest town and principal shipping point of the county. There are in this town live congregations of the following named religious denominations, all of whom own good houses of worship: Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Associate Reformed Presbyterian, Cumberland Presbyterian and Episcopalian. There are three colored churches, two Methodist and one Baptist, all with substantial buildings and large congregations. The Starkville Female institute, a chartered institution opened in …

Starkville, Oktibbeha County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Tunica, Tunica County, Mississippi, 1891

Tunica, the seat of justice of Tunica County, is a town of four hundred and fifty inhabitants, on the Louisville, New Orleans & Texas railroad, which is a shipping point for much cotton and has a large general trade. Its churches and schools are adequate to its needs, and its inhabitants are intelligent and well educated as a class. It has numerous stores and other business enterprises. Other towns in the county are Austin, Hollywood, Evansville and Robinsonville.   Back to: Mississippi Counties, Cities and Towns, 1891 Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891

Rosedale, Bolivar County, Mississippi, 1891

Rosedale, the seat of justice of Bolivar County, was incorporated in 1882. Ten years after it became the county seat, which in 1872 was removed from Beulah, six miles southwest, this point affording many advantages over the latter. Outside of the new additions recently laid out, the corporation contains fifty-two acres, the site being particularly well chosen and thoroughly protected from the encroachments of the river by the splendid levees of the lower levee district. The river does not flow directly up to the city, but about three fourths of a mile distant, a great advantage in itself, while Rosedale …

Rosedale, Bolivar County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Sardis, Panola County, Mississippi, 1891

Sardis, one of the two seats of justice of Panola County, was incorporated in 1857, and Dr. S. F. Dunlap was its first mayor. The town was named by Mr. W. H. Alexander, who was the first postmaster and is now proprietor of the town of Mastodon in the western part of the county. The church houses in Sardis are Methodist (South), Presbyterian, Baptist, Episcopal and Catholic. Other denominations have organizations but no house of worship. Sardis has a population of one thousand, and is an enterprising station on the Illinois Central railroad. Batesville, farther south on the same line, …

Sardis, Panola County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Scranton, Jackson County, Mississippi, 1891

Scranton, the seat of justice of Jackson County, is a growingly important town of one thousand one hundred and fifty inhabitants, on the Southern border of the county and state on the shore of the Mississippi sound, and on the Louisville & Nashville railroad. Other towns in this county are East Pascagoula, West Pascagoula and Ocean Springs. The two Pascagoulas depend on Scranton for mail facilities. Ocean Springs, which is noted chiefly for the extensive pecan culture of Col. W. R. Stuart, has a population of five hundred. Pascagoula lodge No. 202, A. F. & A. M. , is situated …

Scranton, Jackson County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Senatobia, Tate County, Mississippi, 1891

Senatobia, the seat of justice of Tate County, is located on the Illinois Central railroad a little south of the center of the county, and has a population of one thousand one hundred and twenty-five. This town is one of the most enterprising of the smaller important towns of the state, is handsomely located and well sustained in its every interest, business, professional, religious, educational and social. It is a cotton-shipping point of prominence and has a large general trade. Other towns in this county are Coldwater Depot, Arkabutla, Independence, Looxahoma, Tyro and Strayhorn.   Back to: Mississippi Counties, Cities …

Senatobia, Tate County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Raymond and Bolton, Hinds County, Mississippi, 1891

Raymond was established as the seat of justice of Hinds County January 17, 1829, in accordance with the report of locating commissioners appointed February 4, 1828. The population in 1890 according to the census was five hundred; but on May 11, 1891, the Clarion-Ledger claimed for it one thousand more, or a total of fifteen hundred. Each year, as it is numbered with the past, shows a large increase of population. It has good schools, good society, good water; and the ministers look after the spiritual affairs of the people. The business men, as a class, are spirited, enterprising and …

Raymond and Bolton, Hinds County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top