History

Ripley, Tippah County, Mississippi, 1891

Ripley, the seat of justice of Tippah County, has a population of seven hundred and fifty, which ranks high for refinement, intelligence and enterprise, and is an important station of the Gulf & Chicago railroad. It is the center of a growing trade, and has attracted the attention of manufacturers. Its merchants, lawyers, physicians, and business men generally, are noted for their integrity and their ability. Other towns in Tippah County are, Dumas, Falkner, Brooklyn, Ruckenville, Guyton, Tiplersville, Cotton Plant, Blue Mountain, Lowrey, Silver Springs and Brigaba.   Back to: Mississippi Counties, Cities and Towns, 1891 Source: Biographical and Historical …

Ripley, Tippah County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Rolling Fork, Sharkey County, Mississippi, 1891

Rolling Fork, the county seat of Sharkey County, is located west of the center of the county, and is a junction station on the Louisville, New Orleans & Texas railway. It has four hundred inhabitants and does a good local and shipping trade. Other towns in the county are Egremont, Smedes, Anguilla, Nitta Yuma and McKinneyville. The Methodists were the first to hold religious services within the present limits of Sharkey County. In 1840 Rev. John Fullerton preached in a log schoolhouse on the Rolling Fork plantation, built by Thomas Y. Chaney for his private use as a schoolhouse. Here, …

Rolling Fork, Sharkey County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Poplarville, Pearl River County, Mississippi, 1891

Poplarville, the seat of justice of the newly created Pearl River County, is located near the center of the county on the New Orleans & Northeastern railway, and has a population of about two hundred. Derby and Hillsdale are railway trading and shipping villages.   Back to: Mississippi Counties, Cities and Towns, 1891 Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891

Port Gibson, Claiborne County, Mississippi, 1891

Lying almost in the center of Claiborne County, occupying an advantageous and beautiful location in the midst of a fine cotton, corn, fruit, vegetables and grass-growing section, is found the pretty little city of Port Gibson, one of the state’s oldest municipalities, as the county also is one of the oldest, having been organized in the beginning of the present century, or in 1802, on January 27. Port Gibson, the beautiful county seat of Claiborne County, was first founded and laid out by Samuel Gibson, Esq.; who was a native of South Carolina, born August 1, 1748. Mr. Gibson came …

Port Gibson, Claiborne County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Quitman, Clarke County, Mississippi, 1891

Quitman, the seat of justice of Clarke County, was named in honor of Gen. John A. Quitman. The land upon which the town is built was owned and laid off into town lots by Gen. John Watts, afterward for many years judge of the circuit court. The population is four hundred and ten. Enterprise, Miss., lies in the northwestern portion of Clarke County, and has both the Mississippi & Ohio and New Orleans & Northeastern railways to carry its products to all the great markets of the country. It also lies at the junction of Chunkey and Tibbee creeks, which …

Quitman, Clarke County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Raleigh, Smith County, Mississippi, 1891

Raleigh, the county seat of Smith County, received its name in honor of the dashing but ill-fated Sir Walter Raleigh. It is located a little west of the center of the county, and has a population of two hundred. Its churches and schools are adequate to its needs, and its people are refined, educated and intelligent. It has a good variety and number of business places, and its merchants and professional men take high rank for integrity and talent. The first seat of justice was four miles distant from Raleigh, and was called Fairfield. In this county Parkville grew up …

Raleigh, Smith County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Oxford, Lafayette County, Mississippi, 1891

Oxford, the seat of justice of Lafayette County, is a flourishing town of two thousand population on the line of the Illinois Central railroad. The city was almost totally destroyed by the Federal army during the war. The legal bar of Oxford has always ranked high, and in the biographical department of this work will be found sketches of the leading lawyers of the past as well as the present day. The Bank of Oxford was organized February 1, 1872, with a paid-up capital of $33,333.33, and an authorized capital of $100,000. W. L. Archibald was the first president, and …

Oxford, Lafayette County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Paulding, Jaspar County, Mississippi, 1891

Paulding, the county seat of Jasper County, has a population of two hundred and thirty. It is situated a little east of the center of the county and has no railway communication. It has a good country trade, however, and is the center of a considerable business. It was in Jasper County that Dr. J. N. Waddell, who afterward became chancellor of the University of Mississippi and later of the Southwestern University at Clarksville, Tenn., began his career as a teacher. The Clarion Ledger was first edited here under the name of the Eastern Clarion. Garlandsville, Heidelburg, Lake Como and …

Paulding, Jaspar County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Philadelphia, Neshoba County, Mississippi, 1891

Neshoba County is remote from railroads and has never felt the influence of railway facilities upon its development. Hence its towns, though enjoying a good local trade and peopled by a sturdy, enterprising and intelligent class, have none of them attained to any considerable size. Philadelphia, the seat of justice, has a population of about one hundred. Other villages within the borders of the county are Dowdville, Laurel Hill, Dixon, New Hope, Java, North Bend and Milldale. Booneville, the seat of justice of Prentiss County, is a thriving station on the Mobile & Ohio railroad, and has a population of …

Philadelphia, Neshoba County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Pontotoc, Pontotoc County, Mississippi, 1891

Pontotoc, the seat of justice of Pontotoc County, was long the second town in North Mississippi in population and importance. The location of the land offices for the Chickasaw Indians, it early became a favorite field for commerce and speculation, and was the scene of business transactions involving goodly amounts for the time. Among its early men of prominence were: William Y. Gholson, Charles Fontaine, Thomas J. Word, Judge R. Miller, William and James Davis and others equally well known. In point of intelligence the men and women of Pontotoc have always ranked above the average, and many of them …

Pontotoc, Pontotoc County, Mississippi, 1891 Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top