Oxford, the seat of justice of Lafayette County, is a flourishing town of two thousand population on the line of the Illinois Central railroad. The city was almost totally destroyed by the Federal army during the war.

The legal bar of Oxford has always ranked high, and in the biographical department of this work will be found sketches of the leading lawyers of the past as well as the present day.

The Bank of Oxford was organized February 1, 1872, with a paid-up capital of $33,333.33, and an authorized capital of $100,000. W. L. Archibald was the first president, and W. A. West its first cashier.

A. T. Owens is the present president, and Ben Price cashier. It is one of the sound and prosperous banking institutions of the state. Another bank at Oxford is the Merchants & Farmers, which was established in September, 1889, with a capital of $50,000. Charles Roberts was its first and he is its present president, and W. A West is cashier.

Other towns in Lafayette County are Taylor, Springdale and Abbeville.

 

Back to: Mississippi Counties, Cities and Towns, 1891

Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891