Columbia, the county seat of Marion County, was long the only town within its borders.
Richburgh, Purvis and Piotona, on the Northeastern railroad have developed within the past few years and are advancing with much rapidity.
Purvis has three hundred and twenty-five population, Columbia about two hundred. The latter has no railway facilities, but is pleasantly situated on the west shore of the Pearl River a little north of the center of the eastern half of the county.
Its business and professional men take high rank and it is well supplied with churches and schools.
Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891