Lexington, Holmes County, Mississippi, 1891

Lexington, the seat of justice of Holmes County, is a town of ten hundred population, on the Illinois Central railroad, which has long been noted for the refinement and intelligence of its people and commands a fair trade.

Holmes County has churches of the Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Episcopalian and Catholic denominations, all strong and owning houses of worship. There are colored Methodist and Baptist churches, two of them with buildings. The Masonic order, the Knights of Pythias and the Knights of Honor are all represented in this county.

Durant is a junction town with a population a little larger than that of Lexington, in which business of all kinds is flourishing. Tchula Junction is also a town of some importance in its relations to the surrounding country.

 

Back to: Mississippi Counties, Cities and Towns, 1891

Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on email
Email
Share on print
Print

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2019 Mississippi Genealogy