Pontotoc, the seat of justice of Pontotoc County, was long the second town in North Mississippi in population and importance.
The location of the land offices for the Chickasaw Indians, it early became a favorite field for commerce and speculation, and was the scene of business transactions involving goodly amounts for the time.
Among its early men of prominence were: William Y. Gholson, Charles Fontaine, Thomas J. Word, Judge R. Miller, William and James Davis and others equally well known. In point of intelligence the men and women of Pontotoc have always ranked above the average, and many of them amassed good fortunes and lived lives of leisure, devoted to the pursuit of art, literature and science.
The United States court was held here for some years.
The town was incorporated in 1837, and now has a population of about one thousand. It is located on the Gulf & Chicago railroad, being the terminus of the Pontotoc & Middleton branch of that system, and is the only place in the county except Cherry Creek (population one hundred and seventy-five) that has railroad facilities. Its business men are enterprising and progressive, and it is the center of a good country trade.
Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891