Walthill, Webster County, Mississippi, 1891

Walthall is the seat of justice of Webster County. It is located near the center of the county and has a population of two hundred and fifty. It was named in honor of Senator Walthall. This is a good interior trading point, which, though remote from railroads, has attained to some local commercial importance.

Among the secret orders represented in Webster, as elsewhere, the Masonic order is prominent. Among the A. F. & A. M. lodges organized here are the following: Adelphi lodge No. 174 of Walthall, which was chartered January 17, 1853, and for many years held its meetings at Ballefontaine; Eldorado lodge No. 184, at Cumberland; New Hope lodge, which for some years met at New Hope church, now meets at Maben, Oktibbeha County, and Greensboro lodge No. 49, which was chartered early in the forties, and is the oldest lodge in the county.

Eupora, on the Richmond & Danville railroad, is a point of growing importance.

 

Back to: Mississippi Counties, Cities and Towns, 1891

Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on email
Email
Share on print
Print

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2019 Mississippi Genealogy