Westville, the seat of justice of Simpson County, was named in honor of Col. Cato West. It is located a little south and west of the center of the county and has a population of two hundred.

As a business point it draws a good trade from the surrounding country, and it is peopled with an educated and intelligent population and well provided with churches and schools.

Jaynesville and Harrisville are other towns in this county.

 

Back to: Mississippi Counties, Cities and Towns, 1891

Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891