The village of Abbott is situated near the geographical center of Clay County, eleven miles northwest from West Point, the county seat, and eight miles from Muldon on the Mobile & Ohio railroad, which is the nearest railroad point. That a railway will be built here at an early day seems probable. There has been a line surveyed from Muldon station, and an excellent route, affording easy grades and but few bridges, has been located. It is believed that the Mobile & Ohio railroad company will recognize the necessity of building this important branch soon. When it is borne in mind that at least two-thirds of the twenty thousand bales of cotton annually shipped from West Point come from the country around and naturally tributary to Abbott, some idea of the importance of a feeder into this district becomes apparent.
At present the population of Abbott scarcely reaches two hundred. There are three mercantile houses doing an annual business of 135,000, a saddlery and harness shop, a wagon shop and blacksmith shop, gristmill and gin. There is also a double daily mail.
Abbott was named in honor of Capt. F. M. Abbott, its founder, a native of the state of Pennsylvania, who located here immediately subsequent to the war, has since that time devoted himself to making a home worthy of the name, and to proving by living witnesses that not only can a Northern man live, be respected and prosper here, but also that improved modes of farming and diversified agriculture can be carried on as successfully, and even carried to a higher point of perfection, than ia any of the Northern or Eastern states.
Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891