Hartford, the original seat of justice of Calhoun County, is now extinct. It was originally an old Indian settlement. In its prime it had several stores and other business and small manufacturing interests.
Hartford lodge, A. F. & A. M., No. 155, was organized there ia 1850, and in 1853 was removed to Pittsborough, where it became known as Pittsborough lodge No. 155. Early in the settlement there a Methodist church was organized and a house of worship was erected, and a large membership secured. The religious and all other interests here later clustered around Pittsborough.
Pittsborough was first settled in 1850.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized there in 1852, and the house of worship was erected in 1858.
The Baptists erected their church in 1860.
Thomas Odom put up the first building in the place for a grocery; Mr. Johnson the first hotel. Judge D. N. Bessy was the oldest settler. The town now has a population of three hundred and twenty five.
Benela, originally an old Indian settlement, was settled by whites about 1840 by James McCright, and Richard Griffin came soon after. Capt. T. T. Enochs was the first merchant there.
Benela lodge No. 140, A. F. & A. M., was organized in 1840; had at one time six hundred members, and is the oldest lodge in the county.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized soon after 1850 and has a large two-story building, which was built in 1886 at a cost of $1,000. Bentley was settled in 1844 by the Bentley family.
The post office was established in 1878, and the first store was opened in 1879 by Patterson & St. Clair.
Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized by the first settlers, and had at one time about eighty members. A good building was erected in 1880.
There is here a good graded school conducted in a fine two -story building. Slate Spring was settled about 1857. The first house was built by Joseph Fox. This is the seat of one of the best graded schools in the county, with three hundred pupils, under the principalship of Prof. J. J. Higgins. Bethany church was organized in 1857 and has a membership of one hundred and fifty.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1887. Slate Spring has a population of two hundred and fifty.
The first store at Sabougla was built by Stevens & Holden. The post office was established in 1878.
The Cumberland Presbyterian church is the oldest organization in the place and was organized in 1884. It was a fine church building that cost $1, 500. The Baptists have a church of small membership.
Big Creek was settled by Henry and James Bounds and D. A. Covington. J. J. Ramsey built the first store in 1846 and was succeeded as merchant here by J. R. M. Du Barry. The present village site was settled by the Boland family, and M. M. Boland began merchandising there in 1871.
Chapel Hill lodge No. 227 was organized in 1857.
The Methodist Episcopal Church South erected its house of worship in 1856 and has a membership of one hundred and fifty.
Cole’s Creek was settled by Samuel F. Provine in 1838. R. N. Provine established the first store in 1868.
The post office was established in 1870.
Shiloh Baptist church was organized in 1870, but a Baptist organization had existed here since 1840. There is a membership of one hundred. The school known as Cole’s Creek academy was founded by B. N. Provine.
At Banner, William Redwine started a cooper shop, the first enterprise on the ground Brower & McCord were the first merchants.
Banner lodge, A. F. & A. M., No. 329 was organized in 1870.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1858, and has a membership of fifty.
The Banner academy was founded in 1886 by C. P. Gilmore. A. M. Arnold is its oldest settler now living in the place.
Spring Creek Missionary Baptist church was organized by some of the first settlers, and has a membership of one hundred and fifty.
Turkey Creek Missionary Baptist church was organized in 1840, and has a membership of one hundred and twenty-five.
Sarepta was settled early.
Theodosia lodge, A. F. & A. M., No. 182, once flourished here, but is now extinct.
The Baptist church here has a membership of forty. The Methodists organized soon after 1830. Mr. A. McDonald is the oldest merchant and settler now living in the place.
Back to: Mississippi Counties, Cities and Towns, 1891
Source: Biographical and Historical Memories of Mississippi, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891